A Heart Thrashing…Sleepless (Sonnet)

A heart thrashing to the sound of the owls who,

Plagued with anxiety and exhaustion–the covers drawn.

Clutching and clawing at me every once in a blue,

I lie awake lock-jawed by this infernal yawning.

Sleep–sweet sleep evades this troubadours brain,

Locked in battle with evasive slumber.

Constant swordplay wearies and drains;

Praying for conscious fade to black and umber.

Tortured sleepless by jailers masochistic,

For hour upon hour seemingly without end.

Hopes of escape deemed deeply unrealistic,

No longer this life do I care to defend.

What is one to do about this self-imposed draw-and-quartering,

But take broadsword in hand for the sandmans slaughtering.

~~ Dominic R. DiFrancesco ~~

Prompt: Sleepless

Jeremy Farmer – The Boi Poet – Tuesday’s Thinking 10 December Writing Prompt

About these ads
Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Comments

• WB  On December 10, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Excellent rhythm to this.

• crowningshield  On December 10, 2013 at 8:55 pm

If anything I hope you choose to defend your poetry!!! I think your on to something amazing

• Dom DiFrancesco  On December 11, 2013 at 8:08 am

Thank you my friend, I will defend it to the end as it has become such a big part of my life. Thank you for your very kind words, they are appreciated. :)

• Jeremy Farmer  On December 11, 2013 at 1:40 am

Courageous sonneteer taking up both pen and sword to tackle the Sandman – awesome read Dom. Thank you for playing

• Roxi St. Clair  On December 11, 2013 at 6:16 am

Love the last two lines!

• Dom DiFrancesco  On December 11, 2013 at 8:03 am

Thank you Roxi, this one was fun to write, fortunately I’m not suffering from insomnia at the moment, but I certainly know all too well what it is like.

• Blog It Or Lose It  On December 11, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Great poem Dom!

• Elaine Danforth  On January 14, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I clicked on “Like,” but it’s not such a nice thing to “like” the situation you describe. What I really meant was this is very well expressed. Well done.

Best wishes for a good night’s sleep, Dom.

• Dom DiFrancesco  On January 15, 2014 at 12:33 pm

Thank you very much Elaine. I too find many posts that “Like” is probably not the correct word, but none the less I think it at least shows appreciation for what was posted.